My Bike Touring Setup (2023)
As 2023 comes to an end, so does my season of cycling in Canada. 2023 saw some major upgrades to my touring setup, and although I was not able to tour as much as I had hoped, I was still able to get out for a few multi-day bike trips.
In early 2023, I upgraded my touring bike, which was a major change to my setup. I purchased a brand new new bike for the first time in my life at age 34, and it was a good decision. The bike I picked up is a 2021 Jamis Renegade S3, which I have reviewed extensively here, now that I’ve put a significant number of kilometres on it.
- 2021 Jamis Renegade S3
- Tires: 38 x 700c Panaracer Gravel King SS (tubeless)
Bags & Accessories
- Roswheel 3-in-1 saddle bags
- Roswheel front rack
- Rockbros phone case and handlebar bag
- Thule 13L panniers
- 3x 750ml water bottles
Camping Gear & Clothing
- North Face Stormbreak 2 tent
- MEC -5C rated sleeping bag
- MEC inflatable pillow
- Amazon no-name inflatable sleeping pad
- Bear spray (thankfully I did not have to use this)
- Compact butane stove set, aluminum pots, spork
- Patagonia rain jacket
- Lightweight pants
- Extra socks (2x)
- 2x Pearl Izumi Bike Shorts
- Bontrager SPD cycling shoes
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Travel soap/shampoo
- Solar-rechargeable power bank
- Cell phone
- Rechargeable LED front and rear lights
- Bike computer (Coospo BC107 mostly, but switched to a Garmin Edge 530 halfway through the season for navigation)
- Heart rate monitor
Tools & Spare Parts
- 1x inner tube
- Topeak bike multi-tool set
- Tire patch kit, levers
- Mini tire pump
Overall Review of this Setup
My 2023 touring setup is by far the best I’ve had so far. The Jamis Renegade S3 was a huge upgrade from riding my Giant Rapid 3 hybrid bike as a tourer, and is much faster and more comfortable.
The Jamis Renegade S3 is a steel-framed bike. In my opinion, steel is the best material for a touring or bikepacking bike. The level of comfort compared to the aluminum frame of my Giant Rapid is much higher, and the bike feels much more stable when loaded.
Geometry & Seat Position
The Renegade S3 is a more aggressively positioned, drop-bar bike compared to the hybrid commuter bike I used in previous years. I have actually found the S3 much more comfortable for long-distance riding. With my saddle more forwards on the S3 and the seat height adjusted properly. I did not experience any of the knee pain I experienced in previous years while using a hybrid bike, which positions the rider more upright.
I made the switch to clipless in 2023. On my touring setup, I ran Shimano SPD pedals and Bontrager MTB shoes. I think this is my preference for long-distance touring; clipless improves my speed and comfort level on the bike, and using a MTB shoe allows me to walk around off the bike without clip-clopping around uncomfortably like a horse.
Items I Wished I Had
- None, I finally have my setup for touring dialed in.
Items I Wished I Left at Home
- A third water bottle; I was never so far away from civilization that carrying a third 750ml bottle added unnecessary weight to my setup.